Suzume no Tojimari, the upcoming film by Japanese auteur Makoto Shinkai, released its second trailer. Its official website also revealed more cast members and the main poster visual today.
Below are the new cast details:
- Eri Fukatsu plays Tamaki Iwato, the aunt whom Suzume lived with since childhood. She is a fish cooperative staff.
- Matsumoto Hakuo II plays Hitsujiro Munakata, the grandfather of Sota. He taught his grandson how to close doors.
- Shota Sometani plays Minoru Okabe, a co-worker of Tamaki.
- Sairi Ito plays Rumi Ninomiya, a single mom with twins. While hitchhiking in Kobe, Suzume meets her in Kobe.
- Kotone Hanase plays Chika Amabe, a cheerful girl from Ehime whom Suzume meets.
- Kana Hanazawa plays Tsubame Iwato, Suzume’s mom.
Previously, the official website revealed that voice actress Nanoka Hara is playing Suzume. On the other hand, Hokuto Matsumura, an idol from SixTONES, is making his voice acting debut as Sota.
Suzume no Tojimari’s Story
Suzume no Tojimari tells the journey of the 17-year-old titular character. Her adventure starts in Kyushu, where she happens upon a strange young man who says “Is there a door nearby here?” Suzume discovers a worn door that remains erect and appears to have been protected from whatever disaster that occurred. Suzume tries to open it, seemingly fascinated by its power.
All around Japan, doors start to open sequentially. As a result, destruction befalls everybody nearby. And these gateways must be shut down by Suzume to avert greater catastrophe.
Suzume no Tojimari According to Shinkai
Three key aspects of the movie, according to the director, include a road film throughout Japan, a tale about “closing doors” instead of opening them, and a good reason to go to the movies. Furthermore, he clarified that closing doors possibly means tying up loose ends or completing a task.
Shinkai, whose previous works include your name and Weathering With You, is at the helm of this production. He also penned the screenplay and story.
Source: Anime News Network